Tuesday, February 17, 2015


Sure, I had been fortunate to find the trail at all, but at least I was getting off the beaten path.
My pack is extraordinarily heavy. I must find a way to lighten it without throwing e?xtra items into the old growth forest- that wouldn't seem right. 900 feet above sea level and the trail is still flooded. How?!
When I find the bivoaks in the woods I resign to a lonely and dreary night in the misty ancient forage, that is until Adam and Tina show up, all californian and sprightly. Just thought we would hike in and see the lighthouse on our way up the coast. Ok Ill join you. Only a few more strides down the trail takes us to a creepy old barred doorway. Adam insists we must find a way inside, which we do, to my initial dismay. Once inside, Adam turns to me to shake my hand, introduces himself. Just in case we are about to die, he explains.
70 years ago this was a ww2 radar station, we will learn later. Its interesting to consider, that along with the war sites and retired equipment in museums or turned into tour stops, there are also those like this, which are slowly and surely. being taken back by the forest. Maybe 70 more years from now it will be forgotten, but those lucky few who find it as a relic will not forget it.
Adam and Tina drifted back up the path they came from so as to get back to their car before dark. But a few minutes later Adam came back and handed me his email and phone number, in case I was in his neighbourhood.
While memories fade, Impressions leave tracers, to find our way back, with new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment